Seasonal Strawberry Maple Muffins. YUM! Celebrate the sweetness of strawberry season in style — with muffins that will make you and your kids sing… loaded with healthier alternatives, but they don’t miss a beat on flavour.
Ooooo, my kids are so happy. I didn’t realize these strawberry maple muffins would be such a HIT. A super hit!
Strawberries are naturally intensely sweet while they’re in season. That’s one reason why they’re so gorgeous. And one of the BEST reasons to eat them in season.
These muffins were birthed from a need to do something with the flats of sweet, seasonal, organic strawberries I couldn’t help but buy.
My daughter loves to help. But I secretly think it’s more about licking the bowl. Doesn’t matter! I’ve got her in the kitchen creating food. That’s all that counts. (And I’m not going to lie… I ALSO licked the bowl. Yep.)
Now, the hint of maple in these muffins are REALLY what make it in my opinion. The maple flavour really stands out when you taste them — and wafts through the house as you bake them. YUM! You can skip the maple and sub in something else (I wouldn’t) if that’s not a regular item in your pantry. But DO NOT use the fake stuff. Under any circumstances.
The ingredients are easy enough to substitute. I’ve made them many ways. You can sub in flours or sweeteners or fats that work for what you’re doing right now. Make them LESS sweet. Make them dairy-free. I wouldn’t skip the egg in this recipe, but experimenting is fun.
That’s the beauty of the 80-20 Life. You can still eat muffins. Make them more vibrant by using vibrant ingredients.
I love throwing these into a (kid or grown-up) lunch box in June. It’s just such a super treat.
If you’re looking for a grain-free and dairy-free way to celebrate strawberries (and maple syrup), try this Grain-Free Maple Cake loaded with fresh strawberries and coconut cream.
Seasonal Strawberry Maple Muffins
- 1 1/4 cup sprouted spelt flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 2 heaping tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup whole rolled oats
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or raw Fair Trade)
- 1 cup whole raw milk (or nut or coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter (or coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 pastured egg, beaten
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- Sift first three ingredients together. Add remaining dry.
- Combine wet ingredients.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and stir in wet until JUST combined. (Don’t over stir if you want fluffy muffins.) Fold in strawberries.
- Place 1/3 cup batter in paper muffin cups (or butter each muffin tin hole).
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 F. Let cool for 10 minutes on a rack.