Why make Real Food Brownies? Well…chocolate isn’t such a terrible thing. It doesn’t have to be. But let’s face it – MOST of the chocolate we buy for our kids contains three things: sugar, crappy oil, cheap cocoa. Unfortunately. But the good-good stuff has CRAZY amounts of antioxidants (a free radical killer), loads of minerals (especially magnesium) and it JUST MAKES PEOPLE HAPPY (oh, endorphins).
And that’s why you get to embrace these yummy chocolate real food brownies COMPLETELY GUILT-FREE. Because there isn’t a whole lot of badness in them anywhere.
Kids get a taste for crappy, cheap chocolate. And it’s partially our fault. We could certainly provide better options. But how?
Well… I’ve got a solution. They’re moist. They’re sweet, but not TOO sweet. They’re nutritious. They’re tasty. I send these with my kids for Valentine’s Day at school. And they’re none the wiser.
It’s really always about the quality of ingredients that turn your guilt-inducing, cheaply made ingredients into beautiful ones — to help create a fulfilling 80-20 life.
Real Food Brownies
- 1 cup dates, soaked in boiling water 10 minutes
- 1/3 cup of the date soaking water
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 4 pastured eggs
- 1/2 cup high-quality, fair-trade cocoa OR raw powdered cacao
- 2 – 3 Tbsp raw honey, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 baking powder
- optional: 1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Throw soaked dates into the food processor with 1/3 cup soaking water and puree and until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add chickpeas and eggs to the processor and puree until smooth. Add to the bowl of pureed dates.
- To the mixture add cocoa powder, melted honey and coconut oil, vanilla and mix really well.
- Mix in the cinnamon, baking powder and optional nuts (if using).
- Transfer to an oiled square pan (8 x 8). Lift pan up and bang a couple times on the counter to remove air bubbles.
- Place in oven and bake 45 minutes. Cool and but them into desired sized pieces. They freeze well, also.