This “Build-A” Mexican Chicken Soup looks like it might be complicated because of it contains so many ingredients AND optional ingredients. HOWEVER…it is insanely simple. It takes no time to whip together and is super satisfying and delicious. (The prep is the most time consuming part…)
Mexican flavours kill me…in a good way. They make everyone in my household so, SO happy. And we eat this soup for the same reason we have taco nights: You can build it however you’d like. That part is perfection. You can even take it a step farther and keep all the parts separate — especially if you don’t like beans…or don’t eat chicken. As long as the broth is HOT and pre-spiced and tomatoes have been added.
Build-A-Soup Mexican Chicken Soup — with or without chicken. haha. This is not a soup (therefore) for Type A’s and those who can’t make decisions.
With all of this said…it’s still important to use a healthy broth (like this Awesome Bone Broth) and pastured chicken (if using).
The recipe for the Brown Rice Crisps (as an alternative to corn chips) is found in the Detox-Friendly Nachos Recipe.
Make the recipe below if you’re up for a soup adventure 🙂
Build-A Mexican Chicken Soup
- 1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced — seeded
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 – 4 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (my fave)
- 2 tsp chipotle paste (optional — chipotles in adobo sauce pureed into a paste)
- pinch or more cayenne
- juice and zest of 1/2 – 1 lime
- 1 can black beans (or 2 cups homemade), drained, rinsed
- 1 roasted chicken (leftovers from)
- 1 cup frozen, cooked sweet corn (optional)
- handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 or more chopped avocado
- sour cream or yogurt (optional)
- fresh salsa (optional)
- grated cheddar (optional)
- **FOR TOPPING: **brown rice or regular tortillas, cut into strips
- Heat oil in a large pot. Saute onion and jalapeño for a few minutes. Add garlic and saute another minute.
- broth, tomatoes, lime, and spices. Bring to a boil then simmer for a few minutes. Season more, if needed.
- BUILD-A-SOUP: Set the hot, spiced Mexican broth aside. Place the remaining ingredients out in bowls. Allow everyone to put their choice ingredients in a bowl, then top with the hot, prepared Mexican broth.
- ** Brush brown rice or regular tortillas with oil, sprinkle with salt, and bake at 425 F until crispy. (Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.) Alternatively, you can fry them in a pan.