This hydrating elixir is a tasty summer treat. More interesting than water. And WAY more nourishing than nutrient-deficient sodas or sugary drinks.
It’s so easy to get carried away in the sun. Sometimes a big drink of water just doesn’t do the trick. It certainly doesn’t if you or your little ones are recovering from a gastro-intestinal flu – or sun stroke. Coconut water has the perfect balance of electrolytes. Be gone nasty Gatorade – you will never feel like drinking it again, now that you have the perfect hydrating elixir. If you aren’t fond of coconut water it is easy to mask in any sort of smoothie — and this drink. But you may sub in filtered water if you prefer.
The recipe below is MY favourite way to drink it. Even without the coconut water, the balance of salt and honey make this a refreshing and rehydrating beverage. Even your littles ones will enjoy it.
And if you’re looking for others ways to hydrate, whip up some Spa Water, or herbal tea, soup, cold-pressed juice, homemade popsicles, smoothies, water kefir or kombucha.
Or get a rehydration kick-start on our 3-Day Summer Juicy Dump…coming mid-summer.
- 2 cups pure coconut water (not from concentrate — read the label) — or sub in filtered water
- 1 peeled, whole lemon
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- pinch or two of Himalayan sea salt
- hunk of fresh ginger
- half a pear or apple
- small handful of fresh berries (raspberries my fave, strawberries/blueberries sweetest)
- a few ice cubes (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high.
- Strain in a fine mesh strainer. Drink immediately.