I am so very pleased with myself. I remember getting Fruit Roll-Ups (far shot from homemade fruit leather) in my lunch all the time.
My mom was definitely considered a health-food-nut compared to most of my friend’s moms. She thought what she was giving me was real. Well…now I can pass this tradition on but I am MAKING MY OWN. And this homemade fruit leather — two favours, even, IS a healthy choice.
Remember…If you can buy it in a box, chances are, you can make it yourself.
These taste GOOOOOD. Definitely kid-approved, so very easy to make, and for sure a keeper. I was always hesitant to try making homemade fruit leather as I thought it would only work in the dehydrator. (And I’m not a dehydrator fan. Those machines are so loud and they run for so long — it bugs me. My mom and I always planned to build an outdoor version of a dehydrator. Anyway…no.)
Strawberry Homemade Fruit Leather
- 4 cups or so fresh or frozen berries
- 1 – 3 Tbsp honey
Honey Peach Homemade Fruit Leather
- 4 cups fresh peaches (can even leave skin on)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Roughly chop berries. Place in a pot and cook a little, to release juices. Skip this step for the peach leather.
- Heat your oven to its lowest setting (most are about 170 F).
- Place fruit and honey in a blender or food processor to make a puree.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and pour puree on it, spreading it out very evenly, to desired thickness. Make sure it’s not too thick or too thin. Too thin the result will be more like fruit crisps. Too thick it won’t dehydrate, or when it does it’s just gooey.
- Bake for 4 – 8 hours, or however long it takes to set.
- Let cool overnight or a few hours.
- They are done when they peel nicely off parchment paper. Keep it on the parchment, rolled up. Cut into desired sized strips and make kids happy.
Other Fruit Leather Suggestions
- Apple or Pear Sauce + Cinnamon + Coconut Sugar
- Steamed Sweet Potato + Cinnamon + Ginger + Coconut Oil + Honey
Happy Lunch Packing – xo