Serving good healthy delicious chicken fajitas (or vegetarian versions) are one of the simplest ways to please everybody, while being one of the simplest things to create.
Served with all the goods — guacamole, fresh salsa (recipe below), black beans (recipe below) — and other toppings like cheese, greek yogurt, chipotles. Yeah, we are big fans.
This chicken fajita (or veg) recipe is FAST. Makes a perfect, weeknight dinner – before rushing off to dance class or basketball. You can even prep most of it in the morning and literally just cook for dinner. ALSO, getting school lunches out of it makes it more than ideal.
If Chicken Fajitas aren’t your jam that’s no problem. Just omit the meat (and add beans). The vegetarian version is equally as delicious (and veggies are the best part).
Healthy Delicious Chicken Fajitas
Serve these in a soft tortilla shell, or on a pile of crunchy romaine.
- 1 large or 2 small coloured sweet pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium red onion, cut into strips
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into strips
- 2 chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (or regular)
- 1/2 tsp each ground cumin and coriander
- 1 tsp ground chili powder
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- FOR TOPPING: refried black beans, fresh tomato salsa, fresh cilantro, avocado or guacamole, shredded romaine, sour cream or greek yogurt with lime zest, grated cheese
- Place chicken and veggies in a bowl. Squeeze limes in and add spices. Let sit for up to 1 hour, marinating.
- Heat pan or grill pan to medium heat, with 2 Tbsp water. When water is simmering add chicken and saute until starting to brown. Add vegetables and cook until chicken is no longer pink the middle and veggies are cooked to el dente, about 6 to 8 minutes. Serve with toppings. (You can grill chicken and veggies, too.)
- Place a cup of filling on a large tortilla shell. Top with additional toppings. Roll up and serve.
Refried Black Beans
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp each ground cumin, chili powder
- zest of 1/2 lime, juice optional
- Saute diced onion until soft. Add garlic and chili powder and cumin and cook until onions brown a little.
- Add beans and a little water and cook a bit longer. Mash beans all or partially, if desired.
- Serve alone, with rice or inside fajitas.
Fresh Tomato Salsa
- 3 or 4 ripe. in-season roma tomatoes, or cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced (optional)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves, minced
- pinch chili flakes
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 1/2 – 1 tsp raw sugar
- Chop tomatoes. Add remaining ingredients.
- Let sit a half hour to meld flavours. Eat within a few hours.