A healthy chocolate milk? Let’s face that we all need a treat once in a while. But that doesn’t mean we can’t make it as healthy a version as possible. Right? For kids OR grown-ups…this chocolate milk (or hot chocolate) will go a long way with someone like a “picky eater” — and they never have to know it’s not bad for them…
I like this recipe for healthy chocolate milk because it uses natural sugars (that you may switch up) and you can use whatever type of milk you’re comfortable with (raw cow, sheep, coconut, nut, seed, rice).
This is also beautiful served hot on a super cold winter day. And it’s so easy to make…even your kids can come home and figure out how to add this syrup to milk and stir.
Healthy Chocolate Milk (or Hot Chocolate)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, or raw cacao (not hot chocolate mix)
- 1 cup real maple syrup (or 1/2 coconut sugar)
- pinch salt
- vanilla or peppermint extract (optional)
- Whisk together first three ingredients over medium low heat until it boils and reduces slightly.
- Add whatever optional flavouring you’d like.
- Let cool then store in a glass jar with a lid in the fridge. This will keep a couple weeks.
- When making the chocolate milk or hot cocoa mix 1 1/2 to 2 Tablespoons of Syrup for each mug of coconut or animal milk.
- For cold milk shake the HECK out of it in a jar. For hot milk heat milk gently, then whisk in the syrup.
- This makes about 8 cups, hot or cold.