This grain-free maple cake with berries and coconut whip is a perfect reminder…that something grain-free can be delicious. It’s not only beautiful and easy to digest, it’s so super easy to make. And it’s a great way to celebrate berry season.
Almond flour is my favourite thing to bake with. While it is a bit dense and rich, texture-wise it’s the closest thing to regular baking as gluten-free gets. UNFORTUNATELY, I can’t send it in a school lunch. But the rest of the time it’s everybody’s favourite. Check out these DELICIOUS Grain-Free Banana Muffins.
This grain-free maple cake is wonderful without the glaze – you can eat it for breakfast and feel GREAT. But the glaze gives it a truly dessert-like experience, which means it can be used for special occasions. And with berries and coconut whipping cream, it’s out of this world. Find the recipe below!!
Grain-Free Maple Cake with Berries and Coconut Whip
- 2 cups almond flour (other nut flour will work, but this tastes best)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp melted butter, cooled (or coconut oil for DF)
- 3 farm-fresh eggs, gently whipped
- 2 – 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 can preservative-free coconut milk
- CAKE: Combine dry ingredients. Combine wet. Mix together and pour into a parchment-lined loaf pan. (You can also butter it, instead.) Bake at 350 F for about 35 minutes.
- GLAZE: If using, combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over cake. Glaze with set as it cools. You can pour over warm cake but make sure it’s not too hot. This is great if using as a dessert – but it makes it very sweet. Consider reducing the maple syrup in the cake if using.
- COCONUT WHIP: Place can of coconut milk in the fridge for a couple hours or overnight. Remove, open and take the hardened coconut cream that has risen to the top of the can. Keep the remaining milk for something else. Whip the cream in a bowl, just like you would whipping cream. (Use a preservative-free, high quality kind of coconut milk. The better quality give you 3/4 of the can as cream.)
- Lay one or two slices of cake on a plate. Top with fresh berries and coconut whip.