A fermented honey bourbon sour. So delicious. And a healthy cocktail, too. Kinda. If your cocktail needs to be more healthy. How did I come up with that? Well…
- Why use a simple syrup made from cane sugar, when you can make one from honey?
- Why use straight up lemon juice when you can use fizzy fermented lemonade, with probiotic benefits?
Also: it’s yummy.
What is fizzy fermented lemonade? Well it’s ONLY the easiest thing to make EVER.
FERMENTED LEMONADE: Juice of 5 lemons + 4 cups water + 1 tsp raw sugar + 1 tsp whey (Whey RECIPE HERE)
It’s that simple. Stir ingredients together. Store in a glass container or Mortier Pilon fermenting jar. The recipe for the lemonade can be found in the Mortier Pilon recipe book — right now FREE with a purchase of a fermenting jar ($29.95 value).
So that’s it. Make some whey (easy), make some lemonade (easy), then make this DELIGHTFUL, “healthy” Fermented Honey Bourbon Sour COCKTAIL.
Fermented Honey Bourbon Sour
- *3/4 ounce honey simple syrup
- shaker with ice
- 2 ounces bourbon (I use Bulleit)
- 1 pastured egg white (or pasteurized carton egg white)
- 1 1/2 ounces fermented fizzy lemonade (RECIPE ABOVE)
- 1/2 ounce fresh lemon (optional — if needs more “sour”)
- TO MAKE HONEY SIMPLE SYRUP: Place a portion of half honey / half water into a small pot. (Like 1/2 cup and 1/2 cup — depends on how many cocktails you plan on preparing.) Bring it to a simmer, and stir until honey has dissolved into the water. (You can store what you don’t use in the fridge.) ALTERNATIVELY: Dissolve 1/4 ounce honey in 1/2 ounce very hot water. Use this amount for each cocktail.
- Add ingredients to the shaker of ice. Shake vigorously until the egg white becomes frothy. At this point you might want to taste and adjust the “sour” by adding the optional lemon juice.
- Pour through a strainer into a cocktail glass or into a rocks glass over ice. Garnish with a lemon slice.
- You can make pitchers of this, if you prefer. Just skip the egg white and shaking part.