I have to tell you…I was beginning to get sick of making overnight oats. The same kinds, out of season, and for kids that wouldn’t eat them. WELL…these apple cinnamon overnight oats have changed EVERYTHING.
Oscar: These are really good. Could use a pinch of sea salt (smart ass) and a bit more maple syrup. But I like them.
Violet: Wow mom. I actually LIKE these. It’s a miracle.
Hmmm…cheeky kids. But it made me feel better in general. And I have to say…these might just be my favourite. I’m not sure why. Maybe because they require less work. Maybe because I always have these ingredients on hand. Maybe because I was just sick of the other types I always make. A winner, anyway.
Just a reminder of the reasons why you want these in your life:
- Glorious, healthy FAST FOOD
- Filled with filling fibre and protein
- Crazy-easy on the digestive system
- Easy to make, fast to make
- You can literally grab it and head out the door
- Healthy fats
Okay. Good reasons. But have you tried it yet? (you should) Is it because you’re afraid of what happens when you leave yogurt and grain on the counter overnight? (only good things) Do you not believe they’ll taste good? (they do) Is this fad annoying? (it was to me too — until i tried them)
The other thing about it is…you don’t have to eat them cold OR room temperature. Throw them in a double boiler and warm them up. You still benefit from the oats soaking overnight. But maybe it’s already too cold out for the not-warm version to appeal to you.
Also…apples. Or my goodness. Aren’t apples just DELICIOUS right now? I use Ambrosia in this recipe. They could be my very favourite these days (next to Honeycrisp, the god of all apples, and the most $$$). I do love apples. We go through many in this house. It’s about the easiest thing for kids to grab so I think that’s why they disappear like magic. (Is it possible small children can eat, like, 11 apples a day? Apparently.)
Stir in some Slow Cooker Apple Sauce for added apple-goodness and sweetness.
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup whole oats (I use gluten-free)
- 1 probiotic capsule opened up OR 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch sea salt
- 2 tsp chia seed
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (almond, raw, hemp, coconut, sheep)
- 1/2 cup yogurt (or more milk)
- 1 small apple, sliced
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 – 2 tsp maple syrup (more to taste, if necessary)
- In a one-pint sized mason jar combine dry ingredients.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Place lid on container and leave on the counter at room temperature overnight. If this freaks you out for some reason, place in the fridge.
- In the morning, eat the goodness. Add more maple syrup if you think you or your kids need it.